Premium Assistance Under Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you’re eligible for health coverage
from your employer, your state may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for
coverage, using funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs. If you or your children aren’t
eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you won’t be eligible for these premium assistance programs but
you may be able to buy individual insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.
For more information, visit
If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP and you live in a State listed
below, contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.
If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or
any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, contact your State Medicaid
or CHIP office or dial 1-877-KIDS NOW or to find out how to apply. If
you qualify, ask your state if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an
employer-sponsored plan.
If you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as
eligible under your employer plan, your employer must allow you to enroll in your employer plan if
you aren’t already enrolled. This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must
request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you
have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, contact the Department of Labor at or call 1-866-444-EBSA (3272).
If you live in one of the following states, you may be eligible for assistance paying your
employer health plan premiums. The following list of states is current as of January 31, 2014.
Contact your State for more information on eligibility –
ALABAMA – Medicaid COLORADO – Medicaid
Phone: 1-855-692-5447
Medicaid Website:
Medicaid Phone (In state): 1-800-866-3513
Medicaid Phone (Out ALASKA – Medicaid of state): 1-800-221-3943
Phone (Outside of Anchorage): 1-888-318-8890
Phone (Anchorage): 907-269-6529
Phone (Outside of Maricopa County): 1-877-764-5437
Phone (Maricopa County): 602-417-5437
Phone: 1-877-357-3268
GEORGIA – Medicaid
Website: - Click on Programs, then
Medicaid, then Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP)
Phone: 1-800-869-1150
IDAHO – Medicaid MONTANA – Medicaid
Medicaid Website: